Sunday, April 6, 2014

The Choice



In a short time, Tent City will be no more.

We are on a precipice, looking out into the unknown. Transition is scary, and it's a tremendous challenge. These past few weeks have called many, many things into question. 

And there is always the choice to say, this is too much for me. I've done all I can do.

In theory, I could listen to the naysayers who tell me I'm wasting my time. I am a being of free will. I could walk away right now, and I would be okay.

I would need some time to regroup and recalibrate, but in the long run, I would find my place once again, just like I did when I came to camp that autumn day.

And if I decide to move on, these are the things upon which I would reflect.

First off, in these past six months, I have learned a great deal about what it means to love unconditionally. Not loving because we expect to receive anything in return, but because in keeping an open heart and giving love freely, we are transformed.

Through my experience with Tent City, I’ve become a more balanced person physically, mentally, and emotionally. Because in order to make room for the things that were important to me, I had to learn how to be flexible and at the same time, not burn myself out.

And the payoff has been tremendous. I am thankful for the chance to grow in patience, strength, self-control, and the knowledge that I was able to use my gifts for the greater good. I gained the ability to just listen and exist within each perfect moment, having complete faith that everything would work itself out in the end.

In showing others that they had self-worth and dignity, I reconnected with my own. And as a result, I love the people in my life – my children, my mom and other family members, and my friends – more deeply.

I don’t always make good choices, but I am learning to be better at dealing with the consequences and making amends where necessary.

I’ve learned how to really meet people wherever they’re at, learn to speak the language of their respective hearts, and discovered that everyone has a story to tell and gifts to share in this world.

And yes, I’m learning how to tell the wildflowers from the weeds.

As for me, I am still (and will always be) a work in progress, but I am at complete peace knowing that I am exactly where I need to be, and all things are unfolding as they should.

I discovered just how alike we really are, no matter how different – because the light of the Divine lives inside every human being on this planet. 

Giving love for love’s sake is never a mistake. If someone is not ready or willing to receive it, that is on them. You are free at any moment to walk away without blame or bitterness, knowing you did what you could.

So if indeed I am mistaken in giving my all to something that may or may not have a future, I accept that. 

Because, just as 1 Corinthians 13:8 reminds us, love never fails. What you put out in life always, always comes back to you in some form, and in abundance.

Every day, when I wake up, I am free to choose.

And today, I choose love.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, this article is just amazing, I loved everything you wrote. So very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, your faith and your life inspire me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, your words just moved me to tears (in a good way of course). Thank you, and God bless you! :-)

      Delete
  3. you know I was down in the dumps one time as you may well know. But I pulled myself out and stop waiting on people for help. In order to make it in life you have to realize that it cant Always be handed to you. You as a Human being need to try and do for yourself. I use to feel sorry for the people in tent city, but it looks like they want everyone to feel sorry for them. I'm sorry but if you as a person don't try to save yourself then No One can help. If I knew the weather was getting cold I would think about moving somewhere else.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know that you were down in the dumps actually, because you've chosen to remain anonymous.

      And while you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, it seems a bit incongruent with the sentiment I've expressed in this particular blog entry. I think it's better suited to the Tent City Facebook page.

      Delete
    2. Dear Lisa - You need not fear that you are giving your all to something that may or may not have a future. For - while the establishment of Destiny's Bridge as a fully-functioning community with support services, etc. is far from certain - giving your all has already helped numerous people in ways that extend far into the future, and has helped keep hope alive for your fellow activist-advocates, including this author. There is also a newly formed organization working on similar plans for 15-unit developments of tiny houses along the Jersey Shore area. There is the recent emergence of a volunteer-run 'newly housed homeless' assistance operation - securing vouchers for furniture & incidentals, driving the newly housed to & from social services dep'ts/agencies, Dr. appt's, etc. There are openings in Oxford House residences shared by people who've been through substance-abuse rehab. And the more-chronically-homeless individuals may be able to get housing through The 100,000 Homes Campaign- which has actually placed well over 91,000 chronically-homeless people in long-term housing. So, please stay with us to whatever degree you can - we need you.

      Delete
  4. BEING DOWN IN THE DUMPS IS A FAR CRY FROM BEING HOMELESS.NOT EVERYONE ARE DRUNKS,ADDICTS SOME HAVE MENTAL ILLNESS OTHERS HAVE HAD POOR INVESTMENTS.I KNEW A HOMELESS MAN IN BROWNS MILLS SEVERAL YRS AGO.HE NEVER WORKED BECAUSE HE CARED FOR HIS DISABLED MOM FOR YRS.THEY LIVED ON HER SMALL DISABILTY CHECK.HER HUSBAND WHEN HE WAS ALIVE LEFT HER A SMALL BUNGALOW.OFTEN I WOULD SEE THE GUY AT THE FOOD PANTRY TO GET FOOD FOR HIM AND HIS MOM.THE MOM DIED WHEN SHE WAS 90YRS OLD. HE WENT LOOKING FOR WORK,HE FOUND A LADY WHO LET HIM CUT GRASS.ONE DAY WHILE HE WAS CUTTING WOMANS GRASS THE HOOUSE BURNT DOWN FAULTY ELECTRICAL WIRING.NO HOUSE INSURANCE HE BECAME HOMELESS!! IF YOU WERE MORE LIKE LISA FERRARA AND LESS JUDGEMENTAL YOU COULD BE A REAL ASSET TO THE WORLD.BUT AS MANY SEEMS LIKE YOU PASS JUDGEMENT ON THOSE WHO YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.JESUS HIMSELF WAS HOMELESS .

    ReplyDelete