Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Progress, Blessings, and Fortitude

I wasn't planning on going to camp today until Jessica, who wanted to drop off some donation items, asked if I'd meet her there since it was her first visit. Naturally, I said yes.

So I arrived (a bit late on account of a traffic accident on Route 9) and helped her unload. Blankets, clothes, canned food, even candy. I showed her around the camp - or at least the parts I know reasonably well. She has twins, just like I do - but her twins are sixteen, both female, and she's got three others as well, including a one-year-old. And yet, she managed to make time to come to TC.

I told myself I'd limit my time there to an hour, then vote, go to the bank, pay my rent, and head home. But it seems like Someone had other plans for me.

Even though I saw Professor Dasgupta (aka Rumu) at the rally yesterday, today we were officially introduced. Long story short, Joe and I have volunteered to drive a number of TC residents to Social Services. The problem is, a number of people on her list don't live in TC anymore. Some don't have phone numbers. So, this could be a real challenge...

The bus has a leaky radiator, so Minister Steve was temporarily unable to assist the homeless in Red Square (the town center of Lakewood). Thus, he was on the premises pretty much the whole time we were. He's one of those people who never seems to stop moving; I am actually starting to wonder if the rumors about him never sleeping are true!

On one hand, it was unfortunate that Cindy lost one of the lenses of her reading glasses - but one the other, since I got to spend time with her on the excursion to get new ones, I considered myself lucky. She is truly an amazing person. She lives in South Carolina, but travels to New Jersey regularly just to spend time at the camp. And she's been doing so ever since Hurricane Sandy. She sleeps in a tent, like the other residents. She goes to the town square with Minister Steve, helping to unload the bus and feed the homeless people there. She helps with cleaning up the camp, from the grounds to the community bathroom.

These are the people that restore my faith in humanity, even when it feels like doubt and frustration have obliterated it.

Because yes, it SEEMS hopeful that Lakewood Township is trying to meet their November 28 deadline to place eligible TC residents in temporary housing. However, the location of said housing - namely Dover Woods - is questionable at best, and downright dangerous at worst. I was sick to my stomach after reading an article on the place (link posted below).


First off, for those familiar with the ADA, this facility blatantly violates the Olmstead Act. Secondly, its conditions are reminiscent of the institutions depicted in TV shows and horror movies. And thirdly, as a person living with mental illness (bipolar II, for those who do not know), the fact that this place even EXISTS is deplorable. For anyone, let alone a government official, to suggest that this is appropriate "alternative housing" for the homeless…Just, NO. I cannot imagine my friends - my brothers and sisters - losing the sense of community they feel living in Tent City, effectively institutionalized and accosted by the screams of patients, living in fear, sleepless, neglected by overburdened staff. They do not deserve to have their dignity stolen YET AGAIN by a system whose only real concern is the almighty dollar. This is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

If ever there was a time I was compelled to pray, it's right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment